Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Privacy & Confidentiality

Privacy and Confidentiality have gone completely out the window with new media in our lives. The primary people concerned about this are people who are probably about 20 years old and over. We remember a time before computers and understand how intrusive new media has been to our privacy since it's inception.

However, the younger generation of computer users and new media users consider these conditions of privacy to be the norm. Privacy is of no concern to them. Teenagers willingly post anything they are thinking for the public to see. With services like Foursquare that allow users to "check in" to places they are at, privacy and confidentiality truly mean nothing.

Personally, I am concerned about how privacy and confidentiality in our lives have been eroded by new media. I never "check in" to places and rarely post sensitive information on a social media site. I value my privacy and I think that some parts of my life need to be confidential. As time goes by, I may become a part of the minority in this way of thinking. The very definition of the words "privacy" and "confidential" are changing with the new media world we live in.

No comments:

Post a Comment