The next new media is impossible to predict, but I have a few ideas. New media has permeated almost every facet of modern life, but one area where it hasn't is in the educational system. Students still do homework on paper, sit in classrooms in the traditional style, and Blackboard is seldom used to it's fullest. Elementary and high school education could use a makeover.
Online tutoring organized through schools is a new possibility. A student who has anxiety about attending tutoring at school may be more likely to seek help behind the comfort and security of a computer screen.
Schools force students to wake up at unbelievably early hours for classes that start at 7:15am. Online classes would help to alleviate the terrible hardship that these wake up times cause some students.
My high school used something called a Smart Board, an interactive board that was connected to a computer with a presentation on it. The Smart Board was more advanced than any dry erase board or chalkboard, and allowed the teacher to keep students interested with more bells and whistles than a traditional lesson. My high school was blessed to have these Smart Boards, but most schools don't have them. Every school should have Smart Boards.
I'm sure there are plenty of other ways that new media can be integrated into elementary and high school education; these are just some preliminary ideas. But when thinking about this assignment, I was trying to think of places that have an absence of new media. This area is most certainly one of those places.
Elementary School ?! Don’t you think that’s a little too early for students to be responsible and do their work on time? In any case I think you are right when it comes to having more online classes as an option in college. Most of us work and I certainly could use the flexibility of taking a class while on a business trip or at Starbucks ;)
ReplyDeleteHey Thomas,
ReplyDeleteI agree that new media needs to be integrated more in the school system. I like the idea of having more online classes, and I feel that the educational system is certainly heading in that direction. Right now, in terms of online classes, it seems as if there are only extremes - colleges that are completely online, or colleges like Baruch (that have only a handful of online classes). As always, there will be groups opposed to the move to "education 2.0." For instance, having classes online justifies paying teachers and professors less money. They would definitely oppose the change. Also, textbook publishers will oppose the move to a more "online environment" because their industry will become obsolete. In any case, this is definitely where we're heading in the future, and those opposing groups have to find ways to cope or evolve to keep up with what the consumers want.
My school used smart boards too. I agree that online classes are where we're headed with all the issues with the school system...
ReplyDeleteKhan Academy does courses online for all kinds of subjects. Some schools are trying it on a pilot basis. Check it out: http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7401696n&tag=pop;videos.
ReplyDelete