Wednesday, February 15, 2012

My project: New Media And New Music

The title of my project will be "New Media And New Music." It will focus on the way the music industry has evolved over the last decade or so as a result of new media. Record labels have closed or merged, record stores have been reduced to novelty shops, and it is harder than ever before for musicians to make money for their work. How has new media caused or contributed to this evolution? How can musicians embrace new media to harness it's power? What will the future hold for music, musicians, and record labels as new media further advances at the speed of light? These are all questions I will explore as a part of my project for this semester.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Thomas,
    First of all, I really love music. I think that the new media does many good things to music becuase we can now be much more exposed to new artists. For example, Pandora exposes you to many new similar artists; however, i noticed that pandora includes mainly mainstream. That brought me to the question: Will that be the future of music? only if you have a contract with a record company you have a chance to be exposed to?
    The world of music is very interesting in the new media. There is no doubt that the new media made a revolution in music.
    Good luck!
    Roee Carmel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Roee,

      These are all valid questions. I personally use Pandora a lot myself, and I love it. In my personal view, however, I think record companies will cease to exist eventually. It is becoming more and more important for musicians to self promote and work for themselves.

      Delete
  2. I think this is a very interesting idea for a topic. Something you definitely should consider in my opinion are bands that have attempted to "adapt" to the changes that new media has brought. For example, I know that Radiohead self-released one of there albums in 2007 with a "pay what you want" model. I know they very successful with this method and some other artists have done it since then and I personally think this will be the direction selling music will take in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi VCianciaruso,

      This will be a big part of my project indeed. I have seen a few instances of some of my favorite bands other than Radiohead try the same concept, with slight variations. It's all about finding revenue streams from music, in a landscape where most revenue streams have dried up due to new media.

      Delete
  3. I agree with you completely in that new media has made the traditional music and cd stores relics. New media has made it easier for people to gain access to the music they want unfortunately at the expense of the musician. I believe that mediums such as i-tunes and spotify are the future for music. At least through these channels the musician still makes money off their work. This'll be an interesting read!

    Thanks

    Vamsi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Thomas,
    It is indeed much harder for musician to be signed and successful nowadays than it was ten or more years ago. Not only because of the tremendous amount of competition out there but also, like Vamsi mentioned, the technology allowed us to download music for free from the internet.

    ReplyDelete